Hot-Honeys

Author Topic: search function / features  (Read 343 times)

Offline firewaran

search function / features
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:16 pm »
Hi,

i thought i continue this here and not in the other topic.

I noticed that search is not working correctly, it was said it is broken.
So i just used XAMPP to set everything up for SMF, now i have my own private forum.

And the search function seems to work.

Just wanted to let you know, if there is a problem i want to help to fix it ;) as long as my time allows me to.

If there are missing features and there is no "addon" yet available i want to support you guys.
Now i try to find a tutorial to explain how smf addons work :p

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
Re: search function / features
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:50 pm »
Well I thought search was broken "out of the box" not just this forum. So that's interesting information. I had thought it was just ineffective. If it is actually really broken as in code not working right then I have something to look for. I'll have a look later today (US timezone) and see if I can poke it in the eye and discover what it is not doing right. I'm not aware of any of our modifications having any effect on search itself.

The posts are stored in a table smf_messages where `subject` has the post title and `body` has the contents. That's all search should be looking at, then getting `id_topic` or `id_msg` to build a list of results. I've added `post_tag` to the row for our tags but search isn't even aware its there.

There's really nothing you can do without direct access to our code which is, well you know. :)

In any case I want to modify it to work differently when you search for topics instead of posts. For topics it should use the same display format as any board, like it should just look like a board index but with only topics that match your search criteria. I need that for the tag search.

There's a lot right about this forum software and a lot wrong but considering it was written by unpaid volunteers and sold for free. Study the code and you'll learn a lot about PHP, databases, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, etc.

Gotta fix search pretty soon anyway. Like I said, better to have a forum online today but with problems vs. a forum open in December with everything perfect.

Offline SenileDog

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:50 pm »
@ firewaran, XAMPP, eh, did not know you were a PHP aficionado, great stuff here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=432690.0

including other tools for PHP

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:42 pm »
Definitely Notepad++, for editing and comparing files. I use WinSCP for file transfer. Your server needs SSH enabled to use it. Also Firefox with Web Developer tools, Firebug and Live HTTP Headers add-ons, all of which are useful for IHG too.

Microsoft should be embarrassed for developing the worst text editor Notepad and the worst Internet browser IE. And their O/S getting worse every release. Now they are trying to forceably upgrade Win7 and Win8 users to Win10. Google "Never10" from GRC and GWX Control Panel Monitor, tools to thwart MSFT's attempts to force Win10 on everybody.

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:46 pm »
As far as mod packages, download one and unzip it. Read the files. Reverse engineer it.

And always remember, when writing mod packages 'before' means 'after' and 'after' means 'before.' :rofl:

Offline SenileDog

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 06:42 pm »
110 % agree with each tool.  :thumbsup:

Firefox add-ons right on.

Notepad++ with following plugins (not a complete list):

compare
HEX-editor
Light Explorer
XML Tools

other comparing tools: Winmerge but under windows.

windows automatic update and UAC on my dead body, therefore no Win10-force-feed.

Offline firewaran

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:44 pm »
I will take a look the tools, a short look revealed that i use already nice tools :D
Just you know i host my test forum only on my machine, no server or anything.
I use xampp cause it is easy to use and brings all you need in one setup, not saying it is the best to do.
But for my purpose i choose it and it went well :D

btw. i use windows 10 and its fine, my first windows was windows 3.1 :D and i had almost any major release since then.
I agree, some default settings for windows 10 are not wise chosen e.g. use online account, try to force Cortana on us.
But be honest, if you use facebook, android and so you don't have much secrets anymore :p by this i don't mean throw away our privacy!

back to topic,
i guess to have a single post view i need to take a closer look into "display.php" xD
I may need to install some of the developer tools to understand where it all begins and how to "get into it" and make it follow my will !  :evil:

When i get you right you directly changed the files under smf > sources to implement the tags-search?

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:59 pm »
Way more than that, although you also have to understand the concept of integration hooks. Add that to the two tiered architecture where there is a driver file (which usually has its own subs file) that calculates all the data and sends it to a template flle that translates the data into HTML etc. and you have a program that is so complicated that you need to think about several things at the same time to understand what is really going on.

And don't forget it requires a heavy understanding of MySQL databases. It is not for the faint hearted but then I doubt any forum software is, or WordPress either.

Offline firewaran

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:36 pm »
I work daily with Oracle DBs as an developer so i say i may have no problems with the database stuff. At least the most should be clear to me ;-)
About the designing of a add-on for a forum isn't easy, i didn't want to say that.
I just find it interesting enough to focus on it, except loading pics and playing video games  :rofl: