Hot-Honeys

Author Topic: SMF, HH and programming languages  (Read 323 times)

Offline SenileDog

SMF, HH and programming languages
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:55 pm »
I was wondering in what programming language is SMF and mods coded.

I did a search, but they do not really advertise it. I can see that XHTML seems to be involved.
My guess is PHP, but I am not even sure, is there also some JavaScript?

Thanks, SenileDog

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
Re: SMF, HH and programming languages
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33 am »
You can go to the SMF mother site here: http://www.simplemachines.org and if you wish, click "Community" to visit their support forum. Their support forum is much like IHG's forum but vastly larger since there a vast number of people operating SMF forums, including Greg and myself.

The primary coding language is PHP although it is highly dependent on the MySQL database (holds threads, member lists, everything), and uses JavaScript and CSS (and HTML of course) to make the pages work.

JavaScript is embedded in the pages but actually executes in your browser. This is often combined with a technique called AJAX which combines asynchronous JavaScript requests to PHP scripts on the server, which then returns updated data that the JavaScript uses to modify the page you are looking at "on the fly" without reloading the page.

For example, when you click "click to add reputation" you see the number update, but the page itself doesn't. That's because it used AJAX to update just the code showing the total reputation.

SMF and the other forum softwares, the blogging software WordPress, and most all modern websites use all these techniques.

The alternative is Microsoft IIS which is paid software from the evil Bill Gates. I believe a bit more than half the servers on the Internet use "LAMP" = Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP. It is an ongoing argument which is best but many like me see LAMP as vastly superior and also free too. Some corporations tend towards Microsoft IIS because bean counters make their decisions and they don't trust anything that they don't have to pay for.

Linux = the basic server operating system
Apache = the HTTP server that serves up web pages
MySql = the database that powers it all
PHP = the PHP Hypertext Processor (don't ask what PHP stands for, it's recursive)

Unlike IHG's server which uses Apache, our server at Hot Honeys uses Nginx which is a competing HTTP server and I believe a better one, but again many disagree which is best. Both Apache and Nginx do the same job but in different ways.

We will be migrating IHG and its .EU website to our own server in the near future. If I didn't tell you when we moved them you wouldn't even notice it.

Offline SenileDog

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:35 am »
Yup, been there, done that. but no cigar.

Offline SenileDog

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:43 am »
Believe it or not, Google found it.

The view is divided into two parts – structure (PHP & HTML) and presentation (CSS).

Thanks ES