Hot-Honeys

Author Topic: [Request] Spoiler  (Read 352 times)

Offline firewaran

[Request] Spoiler
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:37 pm »
Hi,

maybe i just missed it, but it would be nice to have a spoiler tag like it is known on other forums.

Thanks for reading :)

Bye,
Fire.

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
Re: [Request] Spoiler
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:49 pm »
That's possible. What would you use it for?

(I'll go shopping at the SMF Customization site and see what I can find.)

Offline firewaran

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:18 pm »
Two cases came to my mind:

1) you have a post with a lot of text, split by headlines. It would be nice to hide the text below the headlines an unfold what you are interested in.
2) Sometimes i find i bad performance when opening a thread with a lot of pictures. My solution would be to post a few directly and hide the others into a spoiler to unfold.
them if you interested in the complete set :D

maybe spoiler is not the right term to call it, but i don't know how to call it else.

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:38 pm »
As far as the pictures, remember they are not located on our website, they are located on an image host. It is the fault of the image host when thumbnails do not load quickly.

Spoilers work by hiding the content. The content is still there, it's just not visible. I would have to dig into the modification to make certain, but I'm pretty sure the images would still be loaded, so it wouldn't save any time even if they are hidden.

What would be nice is a feature in the XenForo forum software has which shortens display of quotes, and shows a "read more" link to open it up to see the entire quote. It is often used to quote larger sections of a newspaper or blog site to show enough of the text for you to decide if you want to read the whole quote.

I've been looking at our forum's software site for spoiler modifications and I'll see if there is one like I just described too.

Be assured, we have many plans to extend the features of our forum. We began in August about 8 months ago to get enough good features to be worth opening to the public only recently, and we plan on always being on the lookout for good features to add.

Offline firewaran

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:42 am »
Ok, thanks for looking into it.

And to be honest i would like to see search function working instead of the spoiler/"read more" functionality ;)

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:47 pm »
The search function is functionally broken. I'm amazed nobody in the SMF community has noticed how poorly SMF's search function works. That's well up the list to get it fixed.

Also the topic tagging feature is even higher up the list. That's the one where you click like [Met-Art] and you see the same board but only with Met-Art sets showing.

I never realized how much was missing from SMF but it's still basically a good forum software. XenForo and vBulletin may beat SMF but they are paid products, and worse, paid yearly or you don't get updates. SMF is open source, just like IHG, free. The next best free forum software is phpBB and SMF puts them to shame.

Although I've said it before, forum management had to decide to open in April knowing many of our features would not be complete, or wait until ... December? ... and have it perfect. I'm glad we decided to go ahead and have 8 more months to build our traffic as we build our forum and fix the features as we go.