Hot-Honeys

Author Topic: Up to Date and Still Have hostf.xml  (Read 473 times)

Offline Syfunkle

• Administrator
Up to Date and Still Have hostf.xml
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:05 pm »
This is a continuation of a conversation started here: http://hot-honeys.com/index.php?topic=4444.0, and it doesn't really belong in host requests, hence the post in General discussions. As the post title suggests, I'm up to date with everything and my hostf extension is .xml. Take a look at the attachments.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
Re: Up to Date and Still Have hostf.xml
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:28 am »
Knowing all the parties concerned, IMG.YT is an important image host, probably the most popular image host used on Hot Honeys, and the Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:00:00 GMT was a special release for IMG.YT because of all the recent problems encountered in their recent, major software change. As far as I can tell the changes are retroactively effective in that old posts work with the new solution too.

Note that Hot Honeys "image preview on topic hover" modification (software) is not yet compatible with IMG.YT uploaded images when IMG.YT users are using ZIP upload. We are working on the problem which is related to improving our forum software to accept 302 HTTP Forward replies (files uploaded via IMG.YT ZIP files present links to img.yt.* which are 302 redirected to s.img.yt.*), which we will handle in a future software update to our forum software. This issue also affects Imgmaid...

We are sorry for the inconvenience that our image preview does not work in these circumstances, but files uploaded in the present will work fine including "image preview on topic hover" at some future date.

Note that this does not affect IHG ripping of same image hosts and/or topics. They all download just fine via IHG.

This is our current top forum software priority, although as usual (see requests for IHG Javascript authors) our software developer resources are overloaded and we expect to have this issue addressed before the end of the year.

Again, while our "image preview on topic hover" may not work on all hosts (specifically those who redirect thumbnails to a different URL) it will work retroactively when we get our forum software modification complete.

Hot Honeys management is committed to many future forum software upgrades, but subject to forum software developer available time. We hope to have the host tagging and preview hover mods working before the end of the year.

------

ETA:

I forgot to add, the reason why IMG.YT changed their software. This is all related to switching to HTTP protocol to HTTPS protocol. The difference between HTTP and HTTPS is that HTTPS  transactions are encrypted, and that your ISP (or anybody on the Internet backbone between you and server) are unable to snoop HTTPS accesses, although it's relatively simple if you have backbone access to read any/all HTTP accesses. I presume IMG.YT made these changes to cover a few countries where the content tney carry is not legal.

If anybody wishes to discuss HTTP vs. HTTPS access in terms of whether Hot Honeys should do the same, please start a topic in our Hot Honeys Forum Support & Feedback section.

I would be more concerned about the issue if I felt that Hot Honeys members live in countries where our content is not legal. However even in such countries, content hosted using IMG.YT is not able to be decrypted due to their software change, so it appears to me that the issue may affect perhaps less than 1 percent of our users. Members who are concerned may also contact me via PM if you would rather not post in public forum areas.

Offline lord.muck

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:12 am »
Where is this October release?

No sign of it in the 'keep upto date' sub-forum
No Riff-Raff

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 04:57 am »
The person who handles it got mucked up. Can you handle that lord muck?

Our work supporting IHG is handled by unpaid volunteers who work when they damned well please.

It's really hard to threaten somebody when their work is late and you don't pay them anything. :)

I heard we will probably update the IHG host file in early early December, or maybe late late November. In the mean time use manual updates and your host file editor.

Hey, don't blame me. I'm just the guy who doesn't pay anybody anything! :rofl:

Offline SenileDog

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:03 am »
After much confusion, you can have the hostf file named hostf.xml,

you only need to have a http://hot-honeys.com/hostf.php as first/top hostf server.

SD

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 02:11 am »
As far as I know you will get no response unless you use hostf.php. Any other additional servers will not respond, it does no harm to have them, but there will be no data.

All IHG requires is at least one valid host file server. Other URLS with no hostf data are ignored.

You can put microsoft.com/hostf.xml in there if you want, makes no difference.

I tried to get hot-honeys.com/hostf.xml working but couldn't figure out the nginx server blocks to cause it to deliver the output of hostf.php to requests for hostf.xml. I gave up after several hours of trying this and that.

It's the same file. It's just served by a PHP script driven by a MySQL database, instead of a static text file like we used 3-4 years ago.

On Apache it's easy to redirect the access. We are running nginx which IMO is a better server but I couldn't get the server blocks to work right to accomplish the same thing as Apache.

So do whatever works for you.