Hot-Honeys

Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 805 times)

Offline Syfunkle

• Administrator
Pizza
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:15 pm »
Got to make some pizza bases over the weekend.

I have some ideas given to me, the end results are, well, O.K. (that means edible) but - suggestions anyone?

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
Re: Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16 am »
Yeah, I've made pizza. The most important thing is to Google a good recipe, and turn your oven up to gas warp 2**100! Put the pizza on the top grille set as high as possible because heat rises.

You could buy a pizza stone in which case you put it on the top grill, same instructions.

Also note there are ready to cook pizza crusts available if you don't wanna make your own batter, and even ready made refrigerated batter which might be good for a beginner. Or Google is your friend.

The drill is usual, make your pizza, smear it with sauce (spaghetti sauce works) then sprinkle with mozzarella or a mixture of cheeses, then decorate with whatever you usually order. I particularly like meat balls (you can buy ready made and cut in half), onions, mushrooms, bell peppers (red, yellow, green). For an alternate, use pre-cooked pork or chicken and pineapple for a Hawaiian pizza.

Don't feel obligated to use a red sauce. Store bought Alfredo sauce works too, must have onions on this one :) and maybe (cooked) shrimp?

The funniest fact about Pizza is that it was invented in New York City! Ice cream cones were also invented in NYC at a world's fair. Accidentally...

Offline Syfunkle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:47 pm »
Found on that that I've modified so that it works for me:

Deep Pan Pizza Base
Ingredients
1.   650ml (22fl oz) lukewarm water
2.   1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
3.   1tbsp golden caster sugar (any sugar will do)
4.   1 level tbsp fine sea salt (um, salt!)
5.   1kg (2lb 4oz) strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting - I've tried this with plain flour, it doesn't work as well as with strong bread flour.

Method
1.   To make the dough, pour the lukewarm water into a large bowl and use a fork to stir in the yeast, sugar and salt.
2.   Add the flour, bit by bit, until it comes together. Keep adding a bit more flour if necessary until the dough is smooth and springy.
3.   Dust a clean surface with flour, then knead the dough with your hands. When you're happy with the consistency, put it into a flour-dusted bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm room until the dough has almost doubled in size.
4.   Once doubled in size preheat your oven to 230C/gas 7. Divide the dough in half and oil 2 14" pizza trays / rounds with olive oil. Use a rolling pin or clean pin or clean hands to flatten and stretch the dough out. Roll or push the dough around each tray and really push it into the rim so you get a chubby crust and a base about 1cm (half in) thick.
5.    Place in the bottom of the oven for about 20 minutes so the base gets nice and crispy while the top is cooking.

For the topping I use a mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar (about 30:70, maybe 20:80), a home made tomato sauce (I got that from my Gran sometime in the 1960's, she used it in a stew! - I'm not ready to share) plus whatever extra toppings I choose on the day. One thing to note if you use ham. Don't use the slices you get from the supermarket - the ones that you can see through! Use a decent ham that you get from a butchers / deli. I guess that applies to any topping. You taste what you pay for.

Grate the Cheddar, mash the Mozzarella.

Offline Etaoin

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 04:03 am »
I've often made pizza myself. One thing to note, 230°C is about 450°F, and 500°F is even better. Cook your pizza at the top position in our oven after it has preheated to a stable temperature. Irrespective of pizza stones, you are IMO just as well off putting the pizza crust on a metal grille or even the top shelf of your oven.

Note that pizza crust (and may breads) benefit from making day before or even 2 days before, punch it up each day. Keep it in your fridge between. You can do more than one and freeze them. Thaw in your fridge, warm to room temp and have a punch at it!

In 'Merica and assuming on the continent, you can buy pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce.w First the sauce, then the cheese mix (also available in supermarkets in a special pizza blend, already grated and ready to use) and add your toppings. As Syfunkle said, use quality ingredients, get them freshly cut in the counter service deli section, not in packages.

Or just get the iPhone or 'Droid app, log in, punch in your topping ingredients and wait for somebody and knock them up. :)

See, I really do understand Brit-speak! :rofl: