Author Topic: Just Poking My Head Round the Door  (Read 529 times)

Andrea

Just Poking My Head Round the Door
« on: March 27, 2016, 04:45 am »
I thought I'd better say "hi" to you all - some of you may already know me from another forum.  :)

Greg

• Manager
Re: Just Poking My Head Round the Door
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:43 pm »
Welcome to our forum! Here you will find the latest releases of IHG, and support for all the way from "how to" to "this host doesn't work (any more)." As you have already grasped, we have two major sections: this one you posted in, and the other one for specific host support. Please feel welcome to post any problems regarding use of IHG in the current section, or post problems with image hosts in the other section.

Our final section is reserved for new IHG releases, and we are expecting to announce 1.7.0.4 next month. We are currently testing a beta release candidate, which we presume we will release mid-April. Funny, that, America's income tax deadline! :rofl:

Now the big question: when you drink out of that big mug, is it coffee or tea? :D

Andrea

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:30 am »
Tea, always tea.

I've been reading the forum for a while and seem to have become the correspondent vis-a-vis IHG updates so I thought it might be prudent to actually join you lot.

Firewaran

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:56 am »
Hi there, be welcome!

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 11:05 am »
We are always happy to have more members. IHG is a charity project, bringing image grabbing to all the masses both rich and poor.

About 10,000 to 25,000 people use IHG depending on your criteria. About 7,000 people have accessed the host file in the last week, 23,000 people in the last month, and getting near 100K ever. As determined by IP address used to access the hostf.xml, various factors make the user base seem higher (proxies, dynamic IP addresses, VPNs) while other factors make the user base seem lower (reverse proxies used by some ISPs to locally cache their traffic to decrease their Internet backbone traffic and accelerate their customers' access). My best guess is 25,000 when occasional users are included.

And all of these people are going to be really annoyed when Firefox ultimately removes the XPCOM and XUL components thus rendering IHG permanently incompatible. It's good that we discovered IHG works fine with Pale Moon and that both browsers can be run at the same time with no interference. Those who don't want to switch browsers can simply cut 'n past the URL of a set they want to rip into PM and let it rip! :) This is actually quite good because that leaves your Firefox free to continue browsing other sets.

Anyway, I say the more the merrier! Coffee, tea or whiskey, whatever makes your boat float! :rofl:

Andrea

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14 am »
Well IHG still blows the socks of whatever 'ripper' gets developed at the other place.

Just a pity the Firefox developers are going down the Microsoft route. i.e it works fine so we'll fix it (f**k it up) anyway.

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:12 am »
IHG has been around for much longer. We have a larger support staff of volunteer problem solvers who update broken hosts and adds new ones. We are like the Borg Collective. You will be assimilated.

p.s. We don't have any problems with language here as long as used judiciously. Like salt and pepper, a little seasoning can make a good recipe great, too much seasoning spoils it. A few Brit expressions would be appreciated! :D

e.g. Fuck Firefox. They should just rebrand Chrome and have it done with.

Andrea

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:38 pm »
Ah thanks for clarifying the protocol - I'm still testing the temperature of the bath water here, ya know.

artfulbodger

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 03:45 pm »
Don't worry, someone will tell you if your toe is liable to be bitten off ....