Author Topic: IHG completely locks firefox  (Read 781 times)

smaldini

IHG completely locks firefox
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:49 am »
as title says... is it only me? downloading from most supported hosters lock my firefox, there's no way to use it as long as IHG is downloading.

i have a core i5-3230M inside my notebook, sure this isn't really a great cpu.

thanks for reading. :)

Firewaran

Re: IHG completely locks firefox
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01 am »
hello,
do you have this issue also in PaleMoon or anther browser with IHG?
Which version do you use?
What O/S you are using?

smaldini

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:25 am »
i'm using

- win 7
- firefox 45 (official)

the worst hosters are the ones where "sending HTTP request" stays for a while in IHG before the download starts... imgmaid is one of the really bad ones.  even if i set the download to only 1 file i can't use firefox.

the only thing i can do is collect all images paused and then start downloading later when i'm away or don't need firefox for a while...

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:23 pm »
Sadly, this is a deficiency in IHG's design which is most obvious when using a slow Internet connection, downloading lots of sets, and downloading sets that require a second Internet access before getting through the "click here" button to the real image.

It is caused because IHG is operating in a "single threaded" mode, meaning it cannot do more than one thing at a time. When the worst conditions stack up it can take so much of FF's CPU cycles that it appears FF has frozen. If you look at your IHG download window you will see that it is indeed downloading images. Be patient and when all the images are downloaded FF will return to its usual responsiveness.

smaldini

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35 pm »
thanks for answering. at least i know it's not a problem at my end only.

i know firefox is not really frozen, it's just it can't be used as long as IHG is downloading.
the responsiveness comes back as soon as IHG finishes the job. sorry for being imprecise.

imageontime is one of the few that does well, probably because the image itself is easy to access, no additional button etc...

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:44 pm »
The factors are whether IHG has to "auto-push" a button, the size of the image files, the speed that the image host can deliver images. The speed depends on Internet traffic, how far you are from the image host in terms of server hops, the quality of the image host server, whether or not a content buffering/cache system is in use... Your own Internet connection speed depends on what your ISP gives you based on what you pay, and can be influenced depending on whether or not you share a traffic maximum bandwidth with neighbors or get your own straight shot to your ISP's router.

Or in other words, it depends on how fast the images come in! :rofl:

enuj

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:38 am »
I`m using  i7-4790К@4600Mhz withc 16GB ram
and my speed is this

You will not believe how fast IHG is downloading pictures.  :eek:

Its like looking at man outrunning a cheetah...
:lol: