Author Topic: Another discussion on IHG not working (and this too is not solvable)  (Read 1780 times)

artfulbodger

• Administrator
Re: Help please
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 07:14 pm »
The conversation in this thread is quite a bit above my head. I understand the issues but the details are somewhat above my understanding. However, I have a question. Is signing without the option to override / bypass now in force? If that's the case, it's Pale Moon time for the huge majority of IHG users.

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34 pm »
I'm just listening to reports. My work hours are too many to allow me time to test browsers. I just react to what I see on the forum.

Maybe I should try the ESR 45.0 and see what it does. Personally I'm not looking forward to departing FF until it becomes absolutely necessary.

As far as an interface, first thing we need is some experienced JavaScript developers to come to our aid. IHG's code is mostly beyond me. Maybe some of the JS experts will look at IHG's code and if they see a way they can step forward and offer their services.

SenileDog

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 08:48 pm »
covanex, you are right FF Developer with IHG is a dead end, You can install it but cannot use it. I swear it was working a few weeks ago.

covanex

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 10:51 pm »
The conversation in this thread is quite a bit above my head. I understand the issues but the details are somewhat above my understanding. However, I have a question. Is signing without the option to override / bypass now in force? If that's the case, it's Pale Moon time for the huge majority of IHG users.

Two issues:
- Addon signing: This can be disabled in FF45 in the about:config (but, at least for me, IHG will not work anyway). The plan is to remove the switch in FF46 (they probably won't).
- Removal of XUL/... (this is the "platform" most addons work on right now and gives them huge advantages over chrome, as you can modify everything in FF compared to the few things you are allowed to do in chrome (they will switch to the chrome model)): This will pretty much destroy most addons you use right now and will ultimately lead to the downfall of Firefox. This will take place next year approximately.

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:19 am »
Just what is involved in signing? I can tell you right now I'm not giving them my social security number.

covanex

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:04 pm »
As far as I know it's just uploading to AMO and waiting.
But even if you did, the addon just does not work anyway with the new FF version (for whatever reason, I don't know).

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 03:44 pm »
What is "AMO" ?

And that is why I have resisted signing. It's not gonna work anyway, or if it does only for a short time.

covanex

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 04:52 pm »
Addons.Mozilla.Org = AMO.

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 10:08 pm »
We don't have any add-ons listing at Mozilla. Remember, "Ish Goeb" has that. That is a pseudonym for "Chris *****" who I will respect his privacy by not posting real his last name.

So he signed an obsolete version of IHG that is useless. Good move!

I had planned on returning to the FF add-ons site as IHG2 but since they are dropping support I dropped the idea.

I don't see any way out of this except to chuck Firefox over the gunnels of the boat the same way they tossed us. Making pals with them will get us nothing in the long run. It's a time waster.