Author Topic: Another discussion on IHG not working (and this too is not solvable)  (Read 1906 times)

tetard

Hi everybody, I'm new here but I've been using IHG for quite some time now.

But now I need your help cos my IHG doesn't work anymore with the last update of FF (45.0) even if I put the xpinstall on false.

So I would like to use PM BUT I'm on MAC !!!

So please if anyone can help me on how to use IHG on FF on a MAC....

I really don't know what to do and I need to add that I'm a daily user of IHG
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:54 pm by Greg »

artfulbodger

• Administrator

starkline

Re: Help please
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38 am »
I'm using Win7, and it appears as if FF45 breaks IHG for me as well. This might not be a Mac specific issue.

artfulbodger

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:19 am »

starkline

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 04:34 am »
Yes, I'm well aware that IHG will, eventually, cease working with FF. I had not read anywhere that FF45 marked the end of IHG compatibility. That's why I posted my comments.

IHGLover

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 02:17 am »
Ya looks like FF 45.0 just killed mine too. So sad. Looks like I need to get into the habit of opening PaleMoon too. I thought we had until around summer 2017 to still enjoy our IHG with FF. Guess not :(

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 11:45 am »
Uh oh! I too thought we had longer. If they removed XUL and XPCOM from FF 45.0 then that IS the end of using IHG with FF.

I'm not going to install 45.0 myself to see. Anyway I'm on the ESR release cycle and I'm just going to stop for a while on the last ESR that works. (ESR = extended support releases, intended for corporate IT departments with fleets of 1,000 or 10,000 computers to upgrade, and ESR never changes any features, just bug and security fixes.)

See this page, particularly the diagram showing the parallels between ESR and standard. My guess is that ESR 38.8.0 is end of the line for FF ESR support of IHG. I can't tell for sure but I don't think they'll rip out XUL and XPCOM from ESR 38. ESR 45.0 and later will probably have the components ripped. In different words, they are letting IT departments two months to get with the program. Understand that some big IT departments write their own applications, even add-ons, for corporate use, and they rely on not having to deal with new fixes every month, unlike ordinary people. That's why I switched to ESR, because I didn't like my browser morphing every month.

To be blunt, I haven't seen a single thing added to FF in years that I gave a rat's ass about. Mozilla has the same problem as Microsoft: feature bloat. The engineer saying is, "It's not broke. Let's fix it!" :D Many agree with my opinion that Windows 2000 was the epitome of Windows and it's been downhill ever since. I'm running Win7 and I've fixed most of its quirks and made it look and feel almost like Win2k.

There is no way in hell that I'm moving up (up???) to any later Windows. I'd rather learn to love Linux (Debian) which I already have installed on my (little used) desktop. There are things I do with Windows that will have to be completely change, but with the alternative of MSFT always bloating and morphing Windows, Linux looks like a good bet. At least Debian doesn't morph on you, although admittedly it's quite plain. (Gnome desktop.) I started with DOS and then Win3.1, so I've got plenty of years spent learning Windows. Every release was better and better. When MSFT merged NT into the mainstream Windows (thus adding the vastly superior NTFS file system) was the major event, the last BIG improvement. Win2k was the last great operating system they ever made. I don't know WTH with WinXP, sort of a fizzle where they just scrambled the look and needed tweaking to get back to looking like Win2k. Every OS they've released after has been a disaster for picky users. I guess the end goal is to make your PC into a big cellphone. Have your cellphone, fablet, tablet, laptop, desktop and big screen TV all look the same. Oh Jesus! I hope they don't start putting Windows on TV sets!

It is understandable in financial terms why Microsoft does this to Windows (and MS Office) is because they derive their income from selling NEW products, so they have to morph Windows and Office in order to survive. But I'm clueless why Mozilla does things like ripping XUL and XPCOM out of Firefox. It's not exactly like Mozilla has a profit line, although people work for Mozilla and they'd be out of jobs if Firefox went to just fixing bugs and vulns. That's why non-profit organizations exist, to provide jobs for their employees, especially the fat cats at the top.

I guess I'll mourn the last good Firefox the same way I mourn Win2k. All good things must end some day. In the distant future our sun (a yellow dwarf) will run out of its main fuel hydrogen (which it fusions into helium) and it will begin expanding until its size will exceed the Earth's orbit and our planet will become a crispy critter. Unless we invent star travel before then we humans will become extinct. Actually I'm a bit of a pessimist, and my best guess is we will do ourselves in before we even manage to colonize other planets in our own solar system. I'm not religious, don't believe in the End of Days, but I think we are on the edge of it in the Middle East with several unstable nuclear states, and I think it is more than likely that the ME will erupt into a nuclear WW III in the not too distant future. All it takes is one crazy person to get access to one nuke. They have plenty of crazy people, they have a sizable stash of nukes. Only reason the war hasn't already started is because so far the crazies have been kept away from nukes.

Well. From "my FF doesn't work" to "the sun is going to eat the Earth" to WW III in the Middle East, I've covered quite a lot in this post. Perhaps after reading my rant you may feel a little bit better about your IHG not working on your latest FF.

At some point we are all going to have to switch to Pale Moon or another FF fork that doesn't have the essential components removed. We have known this for more than a year. Maybe the day has arrived.

There are several forks of Firefox, Pale Moon being one of them, and I suspect most will elect to not make a major change like ripping out XUL and XPCOM. The smaller projects don't have the resources for such a big change, so they are likely to remain compatible with IHG for as long as they exist.

Just remember, if Firefox doesn't get us maybe WW III in the ME will, and if not that we know for sure that the sun will eventually engulf the Earth in flames and there won't be any more images to rip. :rofl:

Afterthought: I didn't even mention there may be an asteroid with Earth's name on it headed this way right now, on a collision course with Earth in a few years, a few decades, a few thousand years. Scientists know that it is coming, nobody knows how big or when it's going to hit. The last biggie killed the dinosaurs. ... Oops. I just mentioned it!

Tell me you feel better about losing Firefox after reading all the gloom and doom in my post. :D

SenileDog

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 04:24 pm »
I am addicted to PM but,...

a path worth exploring, when doing tests,(because can be used in parallel with PM or even regular FF) is:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/

only IHG 1.6.5.5.1-signed, though.

Regarding PM on Mac:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=5165
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10847&sid=8884ca5df7cb55adb954d304466f8e01

artfulbodger

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:01 pm »
SD - "Regarding PM on Mac:" - Attaboy! and thank you. BTW I'm going to hijack your post.

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:55 am »
IHG 1.6.5.5.1 is hopelessly obsolete, years old. I'm puzzled by the motivation of whoever did that. What good is a signed obsolete version?

SenileDog

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:24 pm »
Actually, was able to install 1.7.0.3 on FF Developer Edition 46.0a2

covanex

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 04:46 pm »
Yes you can install it, but it does not seem to work.
I usually run a nightly, so right now I'm at version 48 and afaik IHG did not work for months now.
I just tried the release version of FF45 x86 as portableapps and installed IHG there.
You can open the options but pretty much nothing else works. Clicks on "download images" do nothing at all -.-

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 06:12 pm »
Just note that IHG requires XUL and XPCOM to allow it to save files on your HDD, and without those it has no means to save the images. I think this is part of the goal Mozilla wanted to achieve, to prevent add-ons from writing to the HDD. This also prevents an updated hostf.xml file from being saved to HDD.

Perhaps they are motivated by making Firefox more secure, by not allowing it to write to your HDD, but that also results in making it impossible for IHG to work, and impossible to modify IHG to be able to work.

There may be work-arounds for FF or may work in ESR for a few months but the end of FF and IHG is near. From the following table my guess is the last stop is FF ESR 38.8.0, scheduled for May 31st. My best estimation is that date will be the end of IHG issues with Firefox, mainly because IHG won't work with FF after that date.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Greg

• Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 06:31 pm »
I just updated to the next to last FF ESR verson 38.7.0 and verified that it still supports IHG with no special tweaks.

This is in essence equivalent to FF 38.0 with only bug fixes through FF 45.0 and no feature changes. If I were a glutton for work I would check out ESR 45.0 but my guess is it won't work, or might work with tweaks.

covanex

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 06:57 pm »
All this XUL removal bullshit from mozilla will take place maybe end of the year or later.
Nothing to do with it right now. XUL is still alive even in the newest alpha versions (FF 48).
It's some other bug.

I'm in no way a fan of their stupid idea, but for downloading there will most certainly be an API.